- Project TitleCollege and Career Exploration
- ThemeExploring your future options
- Submitted ByJaime Hamilton/Michele Boyer-Vivori
- OrganizationDrury High School
Summer STEPS Program
- Brief DescriptionAt-risk students transitioning from eighth grade to ninth grade developing college and career readiness skills.
- Materials / ResourcesComputer/MASS CIS Database/Business Cards
Your Plan for the Future Website/Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (tour) and website
- Team membersMichele Boyer-Vivori/Jaime Hamilton
- Pre-requisite knowledgeBasic computer knowledge
- Technical support neededComputer
- Any modifications or extensions for particular student populations?None needed
- Key QuestionsAs a 9th grader, how can I prepare to be more college and career ready? What skills are necessary to become college and career ready?
- Connections: How or why was this topic identified? Why is it meaningful?This topic was identified due to the at-risk population based on grades and test scores, and the need for an introduction of college and career basics.
- Background Research: What resources were used to find background information for this project?Resources included local college admissions office and former students who are successful in the business community. In addition, the website www.yourplanforthefuture.com was used as well as Mass CIS.
- Outcomes: What was the outcome? How was it shared or applied in the community?Students gained valuable knowledge of local businesses and careers that may be of interest to them. They were also exposed to a college campus and admissions process.
- Family: Any opportunities to involve parent/guardians and other family members in this project?Parents/guardians were invited to a Service Fair and celebration where they were able to see work completed by students and their projects within the community.
Units / Activities
- Hands-on ExposureCollege visit, Career Pathways Game, Career Speakers
- Group DiscussionCareer Pathways Game, Introduction of Your Plan for the Future, Report out from guest speakers
- ResearchResearch career choices, research graphics for business cards
- Student DirectedQuestions on college tour, questions to guest speakers, creation of yourplanforthefuture account
- Web SearchYour Plan for the Future website, CollegeBoard website, MASS CIS, Business cards
- Oral PresentationPresented answers to questions that they asked during guest speakers
- DiscussionPrior to guest speaker, after college visit, prior to MASS CIS and SDS
- Informal sharingWalking around college campus, while working through the yourplanforthefuture website
Tags = careers | Subject = Technology, CVTE | Grade Level = HS | Time Period = Summer | Program/Funding = 619/592 |
Direct website link to this project: http://ContextualLearningPortal.org/contextual.asp?projectnumber=379.0098