- Project TitleRope Baskets
- ThemeCraft / Science Wednesday project
- Submitted ByJennifer Leonard
- OrganizationThe Skills Library
- Materials / ResourcesCotton rope, yarn, yarn needles, scissors
- Lesson Opening / Visual ExamplesAs participants arrive, they see examples of completed baskets on the table, along with materials and visual instructions.
NOTE: This activity is ideal for use in after-school and vacation drop-in programs and workshops. Most recently, I have used this project in an after-school science program. The participants welcome a variety of craft, garden and other activities that are not traditional-science-focused because they appreciate the hands-on challenges and the science insights that come from these projects.
- DiscussionAsk the question: How is craft related to science? Answers may vary, focusing on:
- Engineering and design concepts,
- Skills and skill development (the skills needed to make and invent);
- History/anthropology -- explain that weaving is a "human universal," meaning that every society in history has practiced some type of weaving.
- Hands On WorkAllow plenty of time for hands-on practice in making baskets. Provide partially started baskets that students can make. (Starting the basket is challenging, while continuing an already-started basket is fairly easy and intuitive. Participants who are interested can learn how to start baskets later on.)
- Alternate activitiesProvide alternative activities for participants who may want a less-intricate craft. Alternate activities can include photography (assign a participant to take photos to document the process), drawing, or simple sewing projects. (NOTE: The slides shown above, titled Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3, were created by a participant who didn`t feel that she could make a basket, but chose to document the process for others.)
Tags = Science-Wednesdays | arts | Subject = Arts | Grade Level = Elem, MS | Time Period = Summer | Program/Funding = |
Direct website link to this project: http://ContextualLearningPortal.org/contextual.asp?projectnumber=653.0788